[Sca-cooks] Pork still might kill you

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed May 20 12:56:06 PDT 2009

On May 20, 2009, at 3:47 PM, Susanne Mayer wrote:

> Trichinosis IS one of the main reasons why every wild pig shot in
> Austria has to be seen by a vet, and every hunter will tell you to
> REALLY cook the meat  (all the way through and better overcook) and /
> or freeze it for a couple of weeks before you cook it.

You do realize that telling an American to overcook pork is
essentially telling them to place the meat in the living room, set the
house on fire, drive away, and come back the next day and sift through
the ashes, right? ;-)

Trichinosis is killed at 137F/59C, at which time the meat should still
be pretty rare.

But yes, this is very much something to be taken seriously, and erring
on the side of conservative caution is probably the best plan if you
don't have a meat thermometer at hand.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter