[Sca-cooks] History -- pecan pie recipe

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Thu Nov 19 09:45:15 PST 2009

> On Nov 19, 2009, at 10:30 AM, Laura C. Minnick wrote:
>
>> Johnna  wrote: Now the Lone Star Cook Book from 1901 is also out in a facsimile. It's up for viewing on Google Books, so here's the recipe:
>>>

>>> Texas Pecan Pie
>>> I cup sugar, 1 cup sweet milk, 1-2 cup chopped pecans, 3 eggs, 1 tb. flour. Bake and serve with meringue on top. page 49
>>>

>> Johnnae, just reading that makes my teeth ache. We eat/ate that? Voluntarily? Without barfing? Over 12 years old?
>>
>> Makes me want to drink water. Lots and lots of water...
>>
>> 'Lainie

Keep in mind that portion sizes are smaller than you're probably thinking. One pecan pie can serve, not the "usual" six or eight slices, but 12-20 slices. Also, you don't eat it alone, you eat it after a nice healthy meal that includes protein, which helps your body process the extra carbs.

Judith / no SCA name yet
Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg