[Sca-cooks] History -- pecan pie recipe

Craig Daniel teucer at pobox.com
Thu Nov 19 13:43:29 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:

> What pre- WWII evidence can be produced that says make them and cut them
> into 16-20 servings?

This question actually illustrates a larger point about historical
cookery - things change so fast that you can't go by your gut when it
comes to talking about food from just fifty years ago, despite most of
us knowing people who were eating it as adults. As someone born in the
eighties, I have a strongly-held mental concept of what food in the
1950s was like that happens to often be directly contradicted by the
evidence.

How this extends to our period is left as an exercise for the reader.

 - Jaume