[Sca-cooks] Brunswick Stew

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Oct 28 05:24:50 PDT 2009

Probably used to always contain squirrels because
they were abundant and challenging to shoot.
Maybe even flying squirrels.

This is probably the best titled blog on the subject:

The Real Reason Why Squirrel Meat Isn't Used in Brunswick Stew Anymore
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2009/05/06/the-real-reason-why-squirrel-meat-isnt-used-in-brunswick-stew-anymore/

See also http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=570
where Tim Carman comments
"The fact is, many commercial Brunswick stews are dishes of necessity.
Just ask Bubba’s owner Mo Khalili, who developed his recipe at a
barbecue joint in Tennessee in 1971. “What we used to do every
Thursday, we used to clean out the walk-in,” he recalls. “All the
leftovers were put in the Brunswick stew there....What was leftover in
the kitchen, you can’t throw it away, because that’s profit.”"

Johnnae