[Sca-cooks] hais

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 20 23:25:02 PDT 2009

K C Francis wrote:
<<< The mixture held together well but was 'oily' and the oil
overpowered the other flavors so I did it again with butter and loved
it. >>>

I see an "uh-oh" here.  Did you use plain sesame oil, or the dark
aromatic Chinese kind pressed from toasted sesame seeds?  I suspect the
latter and that's not what one is supposed to use.  I like dark sesame
oil a lot in things like Chinese Chicken Salad but not in Hais, where a
more neutral oil should be used.

Cheers,
Selene Colfox
--------------

I'm not sure about Katira, but in making mine earlier this week, I did
use the untoasted kind, about the same shade as vegetable oil or olive
oil. I remembered comments on this list in the past about *not* using
the toasted kind. Since I'd bought some when I saw it, and I don't
know where, I thought I'd try to use it in this dish.

I've still got more than half the bottle left, so I guess I'm going to
have to find room in the refrigerator for it.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com