[Sca-cooks] Rice in Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Sep 9 22:47:23 PDT 2009

>I just finished reading the entire Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook for the
>second time, and I can't find a single reference to rice. No rice.
>Whatsoever. How is that possible? Did they not eat rice? Did they only
>eat their Buraniyyas and Tafayas with only bread?

"And he who wants to make khabî s from rice
should wash it several times in hot water and
strain the water off and sprinkle it lightly,
then ..."

"Take tender fat meat and cut into the pot with
salt, pepper, coriander seed and oil; cook till
half done and then cut several peeled carrots
into "reeds" smaller than a finger, and throw in
with the meat with a little water and a little
vinegar and saffron; then sprinkle with a little
washed rice and when it is all done"

"Kinds of Starch Dishes: Couscous, Rice, Meat
Porridges (Harisas), Noodles and the Like."

"You can make rice and noodles according to this recipe."

"Preparation of Rice Cooked Over Water [a double boiler method]

Take rice washed with hot water and put it in the
pot and throw to it fresh, pure milk fresh from
milking; put this pot in a copper kettle "

"How Rice Is Cooked in the East

[p. 59, verso] Take rice washed with hot water
and put it in a pot and with the rice put fat
mutton, from the chest, "

"Recipe for Rice Dissolved With Sugar"

"Rice Harî sa

Wash the needed amount of rice and let it sit for
a day in enough water to cover it."

"Good Jashî sha: It Fattens Thin Women and Men

Take crushed wheat and an equal amount of rice,
and garbanzos and hulled and washed spices, "

"Recipe for Honeyed Rice"

Yes they used rice.
--
David/Cariadoc