[Sca-cooks] Clove defined and symbolism

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Apr 5 12:06:45 PDT 2010

Johnnae wrote:

 >I was thinking the consensus was butter or cheese when we last
 >discussed the painting.

 >But of course one time one sees butter, one time cheese, but I don't
 >see it as a wafer.

 >Just to be contrary Food and Feasting in Art by Silvia Malaguzzi
 >(Getty 2008) has this painting on page 134 and there the description
 >reads:

 >"The fish garnished with a carnation is a symbol of Christ. A fish is
 >a traditional emblem of Christ as sacrificial victim, and its
symbolism >is emphasized here by the red flower."

 >So is it a piece of fish that bears the marks of a press or griddle?

Blowing up the photo to 200%, I can't see that it looks like fish.  The
shape is a bit too regular to be a fish, splayed and flattened.  Then
there's the golden brown edges.  To me, that golden brown would indicate
  something that might be baked, where the edges get nice and crispy.
Also, the "designs" seem to be fairly well indented which would be odd
on a piece of grilled fish.  Wouldn't a fish have to be pretty dry for
such marks to be left on its flesh.  What about something made with
flour - a thin bread or a wafer??  The crispy brown edges would seem to
preclude butter or cheese.

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming