[Sca-cooks] Pre-1600 recipes for "anchient grains"

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Apr 5 16:24:37 PDT 2010

What do they mean by "ancient grains?"  Other than triticale and a few
modern hybrids, all of the grains we use today were being used in the
Neolithic.  Any grain can be prepared by grinding it to meal and then adding
the meal to boiling water or broth in a ratio of 1 part meal to 2 to 3 parts
liquid and cooking until thickened.  Wheat berries can be boiled in water to
soften them then slow cooked in cream (or milk) with sugar and spices to
make a form of frumenty.  Breads of all stripes have been around for
millenia.  If I were looking for grain recipes, I'd hit the Florilegium and
look for bread, polenta, frumenty, porridge and grains.  You should even
find my recipe for millet polenta out there.

I'm a little pressed for time at the moment, but I'll be happy to pull out
some grain recipes over the next day or two.

Bear