[Sca-cooks] bread, again

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 5 16:59:31 PDT 2010

On Apr 5, 2010, at 7:17 PM, Antonia Calvo wrote:

> Terry Decker wrote:
>> I'd use butter unless they specifically call for oil.    You will probably either want to melt the butter or use it at room temperature, so that it will blend into the dough more easily.  When I hear the term "French bread" rather than a specific name, it usually means an enriched white bread, usually with milk and butter, a little sugar, and possibly a couple of eggs. A variant of the Elizabethean "pouf."  Have fun and let us know how it tastes.
>

> Really?  I think crisp, unenriched baguette.

That's probably the most common daily bread in France, but to them it's just bread, not French bread. What is called French bread by foreigners is very often as Bear describes (although I _might_ be tempted to quibble that the term "French Rolls" is more common in, say, the UK and the US, than "French Bread" for the enriched product).

I've always been amused to note that the French Rolls made by the Dunkin' Donuts chain look and taste, when fresh, like manchets...

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter