[Sca-cooks] bread, again

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Apr 5 20:39:43 PDT 2010

> That's probably the most common daily bread in France, but to them it's
> just bread, not French bread. What is called French bread by foreigners is
> very often as Bear describes (although I _might_ be tempted to quibble
> that the term "French Rolls" is more common in, say, the UK and the US,
> than "French Bread" for the enriched product).
>
> I've always been amused to note that the French Rolls made by the Dunkin'
> Donuts chain look and taste, when fresh, like manchets...
>
> Adamantius

You haven't bought any "French" or "Italian" bread from WalMart recently.
It's far superior to Wonder Bread (which isn't saying much), but can't match
the stuff I can get from La Baguette, the local French bakery, or what I can
get out of my oven.  As for French rolls, I haven't seen any advertised as
such locally.  La Baguette calls them Petit Pan and they have the same
texture and taste as a brotchen.  "French roll" it is and it ain't.

The local Dunkin' Donuts opted out of the chain years ago, so I'll have to
see if any of the ones in the city have French rolls.

Bear