[Sca-cooks] bread, again

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 6 05:56:15 PDT 2010

On Apr 6, 2010, at 8:29 AM, Terry Decker wrote:

>> Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

>>> You are correct, sir. I couldn't swear to it, but I believe I've never bought anything from Walmart in my life. Certainly fewer times than I've seen cattails around here, anyway...
>>>
>>> Adamantius
>>>

>> I've been there once. My oil light was flickering and I needed oil NOW. Was on the from some event and had to stop at Walmart because that was what was closest to the freeway.
>>
>> Had to have been more than ten years ago, because that was the Chevy van that wanted oil.
>>
>> 'Lainie (fer now)
>
> Never?  Once?  You poor people.  Norman is so blessed as to have two of the Superstores and a Sam's Club (no Costco, Price Club or IKEA, though). Regrettably, we don't have a Fulton Fish Market or a Berkley Bowl or even some of the interesting hole in the wall places one finds in high population density cities and I must make do with Crest Foods, a local discount chain with about the best greengrocery in the area.

Cool! I discovered (as in, for my own experience) a hitherto-only-rumored-on-Chowhound.com Trade Fair Supermarket while roaming Queens on my bike the other day; they're open 24 hours, and it would be a fairly generic supermarket (although good produce, only okay meats, unless you count the separate Halal butcher section) if it weren't for their unusually large sections of dry goods, canned and frozen foods from India, Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe and South America. It's a bit of a hike from my place, but it's nice to know they're there, and the fact that there are probably a couple of hundred such stores here. It just so happens this is one I passed yesterday on my way home, feeling a sudden need for fresh collard greens.

On the other hand, we can't buy lawn mowers and shotguns at our supermarkets.

Hmmm. I wonder if anybody does a food shopping tour of New York City, and if there is a market for such a thing.

Hmmmmmmmm...

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter