[Sca-cooks] Thirteenth Century Turkish

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Fri Apr 9 10:04:47 PDT 2010

Nevin Halici: Sufi Cuisine. Translated by Ümit Hussein. Foreword by Claudia Roden. London: SAQI 2005.

As far as I can see, she relies mainly on food mentioned in the work of 13th century sufi mystic Rumi (Mevlana), trying her best to recreate recipes that are in spirit with the traditional food of Konya (where Rumi died). On page 21-22 and 43-44, the author explains the different 'layers' of sources (from quotations from the work of Rumi to Konya food lore handed down by "the old ladies who are keeping the tradition alive").

It is a beautiful book and an interesting book from what I can say after half an hour's reading. Includes a three pages bibliography.

E.