[Sca-cooks] Thirteenth Century Turkish

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 10:24:13 PDT 2010

Thanks!  I looked it up on Amazon and it's available through their
Marketplace, either new or used, at a very reasonable price...and they have
it at amazon for somewhat more...24.95, IIRC

Kiri

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 1:04 PM, emilio szabo <emilio_szabo at yahoo.it> wrote:

> Nevin Halici: Sufi Cuisine. Translated by Ümit Hussein. Foreword by Claudia
> Roden. London: SAQI 2005.
>
> As far as I can see, she relies mainly on food mentioned in the work of
> 13th century sufi mystic Rumi (Mevlana), trying her best to recreate recipes
> that are in spirit with the traditional food of Konya (where Rumi died). On
> page 21-22 and 43-44, the author explains the different 'layers' of sources
> (from quotations from the work of Rumi to Konya food lore handed down by
> "the old ladies who are keeping the tradition alive").
>
> It is a beautiful book and an interesting book from what I can say after
> half an hour's reading. Includes a three pages bibliography.
>
> E.

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince