[Sca-cooks] Thirteenth Century Turkish

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 9 13:13:12 PDT 2010

emilio szabo <emilio_szabo at yahoo.it> wrote:
>Nevin Halici: Sufi Cuisine.

Hussein Umit, editor
Ahmet Efe, illustrator
Foreword by Claudia Roden.
London: Saqi Books, 2005.
ISBN-10: 0863565816
ISBN-13: 978-0863565816

>As far as I can see, she relies mainly on food mentioned in the work
>of 13th century sufi mystic Rumi (Mevlana), trying her best to
>recreate recipes that are in spirit with the traditional food of
>Konya (where Rumi died). On page 21-22 and 43-44, the author
>explains the different 'layers' of sources (from quotations from the
>work of Rumi to Konya food lore handed down by "the old ladies who
>are keeping the tradition alive").
>
>It is a beautiful book and an interesting book from what I can say
>after half an hour's reading. Includes a three pages bibliography.

A blog i dip into from time to time wrote about this book:
http://maviboncuk.blogspot.com/2005/10/book-sufi-cuisine-by-nevin-halici.html

Bear in mind that the recipes in Halici's book are **inspired by**
what she read. They are not actual 13th c. **Seljuk** period (not
just any old Turkish) recipes.

And they are not just any Seljuk, but from the Seljuks of Rum (i.e.,
Anatolia, which was formerly in the hands of the Rum, i.e., the
Byzantines).

That famous poet was called "Rumi", not because it was his name -
because is wasn't - but because he lived in Rum.
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita