[Sca-cooks] Books was Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Apr 9 20:33:18 PDT 2010

> I think that Martha Washington was a Creative Anachronist, collecting
> historical recipes like we do.  Just because she lived a couple centuries
> Ante Societatis, she was still an Anachronist!
>
> Cheers,
> Selene

Hmmm, I think you will find that Martha didn't collect the recipes, although
she may have added to the collection.  The recipes appear to have been
accumulated over several generations by the Custis women and Martha's
cookbook was a handwritten copy prepared by Martha's mother-in-law for her
son's new wife.  It should also be noted that most of these recipes weren't
historical when Martha got them.

Bear