[Sca-cooks] pan forte / pan pepato sort of recipe 1564

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Apr 13 04:59:03 PDT 2010

You are making an unwarranted assumption, that online translation programs
can handle non-standard spelling.  The standard spellings used by the
translation programs did not exist until some time in the 18th Century or
later.  Modernly "mele" is "apple" and "mel" means "honey," but 16th Century
and earlier spellings are flexible.  While I am definitely not proficient in
Italian, I can grasp it well enought to understand that this section of the
recipe is calling for the making of a paste using flour and water and honey
(a far more reasonable combination than flour, water and apples).
Hopefully, someone with a better grasp of the language will provide a
translation.

Bear