[Sca-cooks] chestnuts

Mark S. Harris MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
Sun Apr 25 14:50:00 PDT 2010

Back on April 6, Alizaundre said:
<<< As you can see, the techniques are very different. But the common factor is the use of chestnuts before the introduction of maize. The latter produced so much more salable product, with so much less labor, that the vast chestnut groves were not long for this world once Italy had maize.
There are several other recipes using chestnuts from Italy, but I don't know how old they are. >>>

I can't tell from your description whether you are talking about several other chestnut recipes for polenta or chestnut recipes in general.

Since I do have this Florilegium file on chestnuts, and it isn't that large, these other recipes might be of interest. Even if not period for sure, it might give a starting point until better info comes along.

Or better, if folks have some period recipes using chestnuts which aren't in here, I'd love to get them.

chestnuts-msg (38K) 8/17/09 Medieval harvesting and use of chestnuts. Roasting. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/chestnuts-msg.html

Of course, if these have been posted since April 6, I will eventually read them as I catch up on my digests.

Stefan

======
Mark S. Harris
Electronics Engineer, Board and Systems Design
MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris