[Sca-cooks] Seljuk/Rumi/Sufi Cuisine

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 16:09:40 PDT 2010

Dear Friend...if you could manage a visit up here, I could take you to a
place right on the Patuxent River where you could get the best crab cakes
ever.  When they are done properly, they are out of this world.  Alaskan
King crab pales by comparison.  And I agree with Master A about crab
imperial.  Phillip's favorite application of that is a ribeye steak topped
with crab imperial!  I had shrimp stuffed with crab imperial the other
night.  I would also introduce you to the cream of crab soup that one of my
students makes.

So far as oysters are concerned, my favorite way to eat them is fried.  It's
too bad that the restaurant in Yorktown that used to make such good ones is
gone (Nick's Seafood Pavilion...my favorite place to eat when I was in
school at W&M).  I do not eat them raw though I'm sure Master A is
absolutely correct about the flavor.  I have a problem, bordering on a
phobia, with slimy things...I can't even watch the movie Alien without
leaving the room when "She" comes on the screen and does her "thing."  I
have also had a wonderful casserole made with oysters.  And my mother used
to make wonderful oyster stew.

Kiri

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Terri Morgan <online2much at cox.net> wrote:

> > Hrothny,
> > How about lobster?  Ya gotta try lobster!  It's the best!!!
>
> I have, in the last 10  months or so, tried mussels (I'm not impressed - it
> was rather like chewing garlic-flavoured pencil erasers), small shrimp &
> large (Yum, for both), Chesapeake crab (more work than they're worth!),
> Alaskan crab (MUCH better, thank you), and crabcakes, which were
> disappointing but I've been assured that the quality is highly dependant on
> the cook's skill and I need to try them again.
>
> I plan on trying lobster soon. I'm not so sure about oysters - I think I'll
> stick to trying those in gumbo, not ala carte. I don't really know what
> else
> to go for. Seafood has been something I've ignored all my life.
>
> Hrothny

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince