[Sca-cooks] Slimy was Re: Seljuk/Rumi/Sufi Cuisine

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 30 06:48:08 PDT 2010

On Apr 30, 2010, at 9:32 AM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Yes, Aeduin, sea cucumber also falls into the category.  And, Master A, it
> does have to do with the texture.  Most gelatinous foods I can
> handle...though I early on developed a dislike for jello because I associate
> it with being sick.  One of the other foods whose texture is distressing to
> me is souse...not sure what the world at large calls the stuff but it's
> left-over pig parts in a vinegar-based gelatin environment.

Left over from what? Living? I think that's called steak ;-). Souse, headcheese, the modern interpretation of brawn, suelze, etc. I still wonder what it is about it that isn't an aspect of the gelatinous foods you say you can handle?

> With food, it is a textural thing.  Slimy was the best word I could come up
> with to describe it.  When a food has the texture I describe,

But ya see, that's the thing. There seems to be little or no consistency to it. If I had to predict what I should avoid serving you, I'd probably have to cross a lot of foods off the list that are probably in fact okay, to be on the safe side.

Perhaps wobbly is a more accurate term? Wiggly?

> I have trouble
> even putting it into my mouth.  Yes I know...it's totally illogical...just
> as my perception, proven false repeatedly, that snakes are slimy.  I'm also
> afraid of deep water.

But at least deep water is real! It exists! It's... like... empirical...

>  Also illogical.  But there you go.  I'm sure a
> psychiatrist would have a field day with all of this...

Hmmm. Jung on Food... now there might have been a real best-seller...

> but, you know...there
> are so many wonderful things out there that I DO like, many that a lot of
> other folks don't like (liver, spinach, haggis, buttermilk) that it's not on
> my radar to worry about.  I don't mean to be flip or rude...but there you
> are!

No rudeness there, and I wouldn't dream of criticizing your personal tastes. I just appreciate a little symmetry when possible, and am trying to comprehend it all...

A.

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter