[Sca-cooks] Slimy was Re: Seljuk/Rumi/Sufi Cuisine

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 30 18:33:57 PDT 2010

I agree with your definitions, but I also agree with Kiri.  Although oysters are not by proper definition slimey, they have a similar mouth feel.  It has been more that twenty years, but I have tried raw oysters and their taste and mouth feel, to me anyway, is slimey and bad tasting.  Fried oysters or cooked in other ways are no longer slimey, just bad tasting to me; sort of a cross between old fried eggs and cooked chicken livers. Yech.  And I do like cooked chicken livers and freshly fried eggs that are cooked hard.  But the combination that an oyster presents does not appeal to me.

I adore gelatinous items, like jello or a cold gazpacho mould or calves foot jelly or a good garlicky head cheese.  As a child, I used to eat the gelatin that came from a canned ham.  Fortunately, I matured and no longer eat canned hams. [The things our mothers made us eat ... sheeze!]  But raw oysters cannot be called gelatinous.  They are worse.  I would not, will not eat them, even as sushi.

Huette