[Sca-cooks] Pre-1600 recipes for "anchient grains"

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 5 18:36:18 PDT 2010

Raffaella requested:
<<< For this month's culinary guild meeting (this Wednesday) I was
planning on doing a simple lesson how to redact/ recreate a recipe.
However, I just got a request from a barony member who's whole family
is interested in dishes using the "ancient grains".
   I've got an Italian recipe for Millet polenta, and I'm sure there
are others out there, but I seem to be drawing a blank at the moment.
Any ideas for good and simple recipes that would relate to this? >>>

What is the definition you are using for "ancient grains"?  How old
does it need to be before you consider it ancient?

Perhaps this file in the FOOD-BREADS section of the Florilegium might
be of interest:
Ancent-Grains-art (24K)  5/30/01  "Looking into Ancient Grains" by
Mistress
                                      Christianna MacGrain.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/Ancent-Grains-art.html

We have also talked about some of the older wheat varieties. Bear has
detailed a lot of info on these. I'm not sure where I have files that
info away, though. You might try the Florilegium search engines. I
would also look at this file in the same section:
grains-msg        (98K)  4/30/07  Medieval grains. Recipes. Cooking.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/grains-msg.html

Are you including New World grains? Or just Old World ones? If you are
including the former, I think this file has some comments on the
ancestry of maize.
maize-msg         (64K)  1/10/08  Discovery of maize (Indian corn) in
the
                                      Americas and its introduction to
Europe.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/maize-msg.html

Is your info on millet polenta medieval? I think I only have info on
wheat and maize polenta, so I'd like to see your info on millet polenta.
polenta-msg       (20K) 12/13/05  Period polenta. Wheat and maize
polenta.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/polenta-msg.html

I hope this helps.

Stefan