[Sca-cooks] Pre-1600 recipes for "anchient grains"

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 08:24:16 PDT 2010

Bogda çzorba- Wheat berry soup

2 pounds beef, lamb or chicken bones -- for broth (3 to 5)
1 1/3 pounds onion, garlic, celery, carrot--mixed for broth, 1/2-inch cubes
OR 2-3 tablespoons of good beef bouillon
10 2/3 cups water (or packaged beef stock if not making from scratch) (8 to
10)
1 1/3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup wheat berries, soaked overnight
1 1/3 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons additional if needed for flavor beef bouillon
2/3 cup red wine vinegar
vinegar to taste, salt and pepper as well.

1.    Roast beef bones on low for 1-2 hours with onion, garlic, celery,
carrot. Add water to cover and bring to a simmer for 35-45 minutes.

2.    Remove bones and add wheat berries, salt, pepper, bouillon and stir.
Simmer 1-2 hours adding stock as necessary to produce a thick pudding like
soup.

3.    Add back any meat that is available from the bones. Season with
vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.

4.    Serve hot.

Servings: 8
Preparation Time: 3 minutes

Notes:  Item Grain.  One boils wheat in a meat broth from mutton like a mues
(pudding) one calls it "bogda czorba" [transl. note: Turkish "Bogdhai" is
"wheat", "czorba" means "soup"]H.D.

Soup features prominently in Turkish cuisine, this one is no exception.
Traditionally this would be made with mutton but here I've chosen to use
beef as it is much more accessible to the average person. Of course you are
free to use mutton or lamb if you are able to find it readily.

Cuisine: Period Turkish

Categories: 2008 ME Feast, 2010 ME Feast, Periods soups & stews

Source: Channon Mondoux of Renaissance Cuisine--Celebration at the Sarayi
ebook

Evidently there are a couple of different kinds of wheatberries, so they
made need to soak a little longer.  Also, in making this for an event, I
used crockpots to cook it...which of course stretched the cooking time out
to all day.  And it worked very well.  I found that it needed more salt and
pepper and a little more vinegar...your taste may vary.  As the soup bones I
found didn't have much in the way of meat on them, I added some bottom round
cut into chunks where it says to add the meat back.  I also made sure I got
the marrow out of the bones...this added a lot of richness to the soup.

Kiri