[Sca-cooks] Sixteenth Century Turkish

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 03:17:10 PDT 2010

All of these links work wonderfully, though many of them wind up pointing to
pretty much the same site.  However, the last one,
http://www.ascibasi.net/ascibasiEng.asp, is broken.  It points to a location
where you can purchase a domain name, which leads me to believe that the
site has gone away.  Too bad...looked like a great resource!

Kiri

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:

> Use this site
>
> http://www.kanyak.com/surname-i-vehbi/index.html
>
> It carries this note:
> Note: This site is currently under construction. When completed, it will
> contain all the Levni images in jpg format together with explanations and
> comments.
>

> It seems to feature most of what the former site did.
>
> Wayback machine is dropping connections right now.
>
> The problem with the Wayback Machine is they preserve text and drop the
> illustrations, so those sugar garden illuminations aren't there. I could
> never get them to load.
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20041202015617/www.geocities.com/surnamei_vehbi/
>
> Just use the other website and save time.
>
> It also features
>
> http://www.kanyak.com/hasan.html
>
> ------------------
>
> I've been busy which is why I have been staying away from this thread, but
> here are a couple
> of notes taken from what I've posted in the past:
>
> Perhaps you haven't come across this post of mine from April 2006
> where I wrote:
>
> to answer some related
> questions on another list I have been looking into Ottoman foods also.
> Besides all the EEBO materials and descriptions of foods encountered by
> Westerners, there's a huge amount of other stuff.
> Among the most interesting online articles that I have come across is this
> one:
>
> "The Imperial Procession: Recreating a world's order" by Stephane
> Yerasimos. It examines the feasts and festivals of the Ottoman Court.
>  (NO LONGER Available here)
> by the author of A la Table du Grand Turc which can be acquired from Amazon
> Canada.
>
> 2010 ---You can interlibrary loan that volume of course; very helpful if
> you read French.
>
> For those that are intrigued by the topic and would like to read more,
> I can suggest the following books in English.
>
> Cevik, Nihal K. (Editor), Imperial Taste, 700 Years of Culinary
> Culture. Ankara : Republic of Turkey, Ministry of Culture, the General
> Directorate of Research and Development of Folk Cultures, 2000.
> Footnotes and bibliography along with pictures and some recipes.
> Also includes a translation of The Bursa or Edict of Standards from 1502.
>
> One book with marvelous pictures is:
> The Food Culture of the Ottoman Palace by Gary Oberling and Grace Martin
> Smith. Istanbul : Society of Friends of Topkapi Palace Museum, 2001.
> Again great illus; good text with footnotes; Lots of information on the
> 16th century court.
>
> The newest and perhaps one of the most interesting as of 2006:
> Yerasimos, Marianna 500 Years Of Ottoman Cuisine ISBN : 9752301614
> Publisher : Boyut Yayın in İstanbul.
> It was just published in Dec. 2005, so it's not available for interlibrary
> loan.
> Prices vary widely.
> [...]

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince