[Sca-cooks] 10th-13th century Turkish was Sixteenth Century Turkish

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 13 07:24:52 PDT 2010

Ian asked:
>  What do we have for earlier Turkish?

I replied:
>  Which ones? As i mentioned in a previous message there are so many in so
>  many centuries...

Ian Kusz answered:
>  anything in, say, early medieval/viking, say, 900-1200?
then explained:
>  sorry, I meant medieval/viking age Turkey. I'm unclear on the terminology.

I will assume that what you mean by Turkey is the boundaries of
modern Turkey, since there was no Turkey before the Ottomans

It also depends on whether you mean the European part of modern
Turkey or Anatolia, the Asian part of modern Turkey.

The European part was controlled by the Eastern Roman Empire, known
beginning in the 19th century as Byzantium, throughout the time
period you ask about.

And in the 10th c. (900s) much of Anatolia was under the control of
Byzantium, and this was the case through much of the 11th c.

By the late 11th c., however, most of Anatolia was controlled by the
Empire of the Seljuk Turks, although Byzantium remained in control of
parts of the north and west.

In the early 13th c. (1200s) northern and western Anatolia were still
controlled by Byzantium. Central and Eastern Anatolia were ruled by
the Seljuk Sultanate of Rum. And southern Anatolia was known as
Little Armenia, aka the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia, created by
Armenian refugees fleeing the Seljuk Turkish invasion of Armenia.

By the end of the 13th c (1200s) Anatolia was divided up among
Byzantium (not much but still hanging on in bits of the north and
west), the much reduced Seljuk Sultanate of Rum in the east, around a
dozen different Turkic tribal groups throughout the middle and north,
a tiny bit remaining of Little Armenia in the southeast, and a finger
of the Perso-Turco-Mongol Il-Khanate extending along the south.

And finally, we have very limited information about food in any of
these times and cultures.
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita