[Sca-cooks] pan forte / pan pepato sort of recipe 1564

CHARLES POTTER basiliusphocas at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 13 22:42:36 PDT 2010

> From: otsisto at socket.net
> To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
> Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:18:17 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] pan forte / pan pepato sort of recipe 1564
>

>   Check this recipe from the 1549 Libro Novo by Christoforo Messisbugo.

                       A FARE MOSTAZZOLLI DI ZUCCHARO

  Piglia di cedro cofetto tagliato minutamente libre 3, di melle collato libre 3, di pevere, 5 oottavi, di zafarano scrupulo uno, di cinamomo, tre quarti d'oncia, di muschio tre grani, di farina tanto che basti ad impastare dette robbe.  Poi farai mostazzoli grandi, & piccioli, come a te piacera.  Poi li farai cuocere come pampapati, ma questi si fanno d'oncie 4 in 6 l'uno, e non piu grandi.

                  TO MAKE BREAD (BISCOTTI) OF SUGAR

   Take three pounds of candied citron cut very small, five pounds of sieved honey, of pepper five eighths (ounce), of saffron a scruple (1.0198g), of cinnamon three- quarters of a ounce, of musk three grains, of flour so much that is enough to work into dough the named ingredients.
   Then you shall make the biscotti large or small, like to your want.  Then these you shall make to cook like the peppered bread, but these you make four to six ounces each, and not any larger.

  I do not have a recipe in the Libro Novo for the peppered bread (ugh!) he refers to and this one looks like a biscotti, but very sweet and spicy.  I will see what I can do with this recipe for a Pennsic class.

  NOTE:  All pounds are 12 ounces (345g) and I would use true cinnamon instead of cassia cinnamon, but he may mean cassia as he uses the word cinamomo which is used rarely in this book.  The usual word is canella which I am very sure means Ceylon or true cinnamon.

                  Master B