[Sca-cooks] Seljuk/Rumi/Sufi Cuisine

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Wed Apr 28 20:09:08 PDT 2010

> > I would have no problem with that, although getting various edible
> > gourds is not that difficult if one lives where there are Middle
> > Eastern, South Asian, Southeast Asian, or East Asian markets. And now
> > that i have been using them, i find them far preferable in flavor and
> > texture to zucchini, which is very watery by comparison.

> What are they called in the stores?  Any chance you have pictures of them?
> We have a variety of grocery stores around, but identifying what I might
> want is harder :-)
> Eyrny

I second that! I am completely baffled when I'm in the produce section of
the store - I've avoided all gourds and squashes most of my life (until
recently) and now, while I'm trying out different types*, I'd really love to
experiment with edible gourds - but I don't even know what to look for. We
have a good, large, produce department at an oriental/Latin American/South
Pacific grocery store nearby but I only recognise about half of what they
have there. any kind of pointer would help.

Hrothny
*I realised that I was in my 50s and had never really eaten any squash other
than pumpkin, and no seafood, either. So I'm been trying various ones out. I
now regret missing summer squash and zucchini - they're tasty! And jus two
weekends ago, I learned how to eat shrimp. Big BIG shrimp. Yum. :)