[Sca-cooks] Guides to produce was Seljuk/Rumi/Sufi Cuisine

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Apr 29 04:10:10 PDT 2010

Where to begin? As a librarian, I am happy to report that there are
books on the topic. There are grocery or produce guides like: Field
Guide to Produce: How to Identify, Select, and Prepare Virtually Every
Fruit and Vegetable at the Market.  Sometimes even a gardening guide
like The Edible Asian Garden will help.
Many of these offer "look inside" so you can see what they offer by
using Amazon. Edible: An Illustrated Guide to the World's Food Plants
can be purchased for as little as $6.50. Vegetables from Amaranth to
Zucchini: The Essential Reference: 500 Recipes, 275 Photographs by
Elizabeth Schneider is an encyclopedic volume. Your library may have it.
It's too big to take to take shopping but it's a good source.

There are also really good ethnic or international guides to produce
like Cook's Guide To Asian Vegetables or Handy Pocket Guide To Asian
Vegetables. The same goes for Latin American or Mexican ingredients.
There are also specialty books on just gourds, melons, squashes, etc.
Again the gardening guides may help as well as the cookbooks.

A good produce manager may be able to help identify and provide more
details. Back when I was able to drive and shop extensively I was on a
first name basis with two or three produce managers at different
stores. (I was after specialty citrus items and things like quince at
the time.)

There's always
the take a photo with the cellphone. Then use the web to identify the
produce in question.

Johnnae