[Sca-cooks] Seljuk/Rumi/Sufi Cuisine

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 04:44:37 PDT 2010

Hrothny,
How about lobster?  Ya gotta try lobster!  It's the best!!!

You can regularly find bitter gourds at oriental grocery stores, though I'm
not sure how they would fit into the period European situation. ...

Kiri

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Terri Morgan <online2much at cox.net> wrote:

> > > I would have no problem with that, although getting various edible
> > > gourds is not that difficult if one lives where there are Middle
> > > Eastern, South Asian, Southeast Asian, or East Asian markets. And now
> > > that i have been using them, i find them far preferable in flavor and
> > > texture to zucchini, which is very watery by comparison.
>
> > What are they called in the stores?  Any chance you have pictures of
> them?
> > We have a variety of grocery stores around, but identifying what I might
> > want is harder :-)
> > Eyrny
>
> I second that! I am completely baffled when I'm in the produce section of
> the store - I've avoided all gourds and squashes most of my life (until
> recently) and now, while I'm trying out different types*, I'd really love
> experiment with edible gourds - but I don't even know what to look for. We
> have a good, large, produce department at an oriental/Latin American/South
> Pacific grocery store nearby but I only recognise about half of what they
> have there. any kind of pointer would help.
>
> Hrothny
> *I realised that I was in my 50s and had never really eaten any squash
> other
> than pumpkin, and no seafood, either. So I'm been trying various ones out.
> now regret missing summer squash and zucchini - they're tasty! And jus two
> weekends ago, I learned how to eat shrimp. Big BIG shrimp. Yum. :)

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince