[Sca-cooks] Seafood, was Re: Seljuk/Rumi/Sufi Cuisine

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 09:43:01 PDT 2010

I have not ever intentionally had frozen mussels - I'd be afraid they would
be rubbery but maybe I'm wrong.  Just don't over cook them.

For fresh, in the shell, mussels you need to make sure they are clean - put
them in clean cool water to let them get the sand out themselves.  You'll
also need to remove the beard (that dark wire-y stuff that hangs off of
them) and brush them.  Then, easy enough, just steam them (a nice white wine
butter sauce is lovely!)

Alton Brown (Good Eats on FoodTV) did an episode with mussels - I'm sure I
have it at home but you might be able to find it on line somewhere (Hulu???)

Good luck.

Shoshanna