[Sca-cooks] Seafood, was Re: Seljuk/Rumi/Sufi Cuisine

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 09:32:33 PDT 2010

Lobster is one of those things that can be prepared many different ways
(baked stuffed, bisque, ravioli, etc.) but the best way of all IMHO is
simply steamed/boiled.  Of course that means that, in order for it to the
best, they need to be cooked live.

Kiri

PS:  any clues as to how to clean mussels?  I need to trial cook a recipe
for a friend and it calls for mussels which I've never dealt with before.
Would I be ok using the frozen variety that are already cleaned??

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Laura C. Minnick <lcm at jeffnet.org> wrote:

>>  Hrothny,
>>> How about lobster?  Ya gotta try lobster!  It's the best!!!
>>>

>> I have, in the last 10  months or so, tried mussels (I'm not impressed -
>> it
>> was rather like chewing garlic-flavoured pencil erasers),
>>

> I like mussels (garlic and butter and white wine or ale!) but I feel that
> way about squid and octopus. If I wanted to eat rubber bands, I've got some
> here in the desk drawer. :-P
>
>   small shrimp&
>> large (Yum, for both), Chesapeake crab (more work than they're worth!),
>> Alaskan crab (MUCH better, thank you), and crabcakes, which were
>> disappointing but I've been assured that the quality is highly dependant
>> on
>> the cook's skill and I need to try them again.
>>

> Anyone else remember the "I've got crab legs!" commercials? I think it was
> for Sizzler, but I can't remember. It was about 30 years ago. I love crab.
> :-)
>
>  I plan on trying lobster soon. I'm not so sure about oysters - I think
>> I'll
>> stick to trying those in gumbo, not ala carte. I don't really know what
>> else
>> to go for. Seafood has been something I've ignored all my life.
>>

> Tried oysters, not impressed. I've had lobster- for some odd reason when my
> oldest two were born the hospitals seemed to think you should have a steak
> and lobster dinner after giving birth. (They showed up on the bill- sorry,
> but that was not a $30 meal!) Prepared by someone who knows what they're
> doing, I might be more impressed, but at the moment I'm more likely to order
> crab.
>
> Liutgard Liutgard Liutgard (still practicing typing the new name ;-)
>
> --
> "It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our
> abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore
>
> ~~~Follow my Queenly perambulations at: http://slugcrossings.blogspot.com/

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince