[Sca-cooks] Seafood, was Re: Seljuk/Rumi/Sufi Cuisine

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Apr 29 05:49:41 PDT 2010

>> Hrothny,
>> How about lobster?  Ya gotta try lobster!  It's the best!!!
>>
> I have, in the last 10  months or so, tried mussels (I'm not impressed - it
> was rather like chewing garlic-flavoured pencil erasers),

I like mussels (garlic and butter and white wine or ale!) but I feel
that way about squid and octopus. If I wanted to eat rubber bands, I've
got some here in the desk drawer. :-P

>   small shrimp&
> large (Yum, for both), Chesapeake crab (more work than they're worth!),
> Alaskan crab (MUCH better, thank you), and crabcakes, which were
> disappointing but I've been assured that the quality is highly dependant on
> the cook's skill and I need to try them again.

Anyone else remember the "I've got crab legs!" commercials? I think it
was for Sizzler, but I can't remember. It was about 30 years ago. I love
crab. :-)

> I plan on trying lobster soon. I'm not so sure about oysters - I think I'll
> stick to trying those in gumbo, not ala carte. I don't really know what else
> to go for. Seafood has been something I've ignored all my life.

Tried oysters, not impressed. I've had lobster- for some odd reason when
my oldest two were born the hospitals seemed to think you should have a
steak and lobster dinner after giving birth. (They showed up on the
bill- sorry, but that was not a $30 meal!) Prepared by someone who knows
what they're doing, I might be more impressed, but at the moment I'm
more likely to order crab.

Liutgard Liutgard Liutgard (still practicing typing the new name ;-)

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore