[Sca-cooks] yoghurt sauce

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 11 05:48:00 PST 2010

On Dec 7, 2010, at 4:06 PM, Ian Kusz wrote:

> I've tried making that yoghurt and dill/cucumber sauce used in gyros and
> tzatziki, but it always comes out bland, for my taste...anyone have a
> really, I don't know, tangy version?

Added to what's already been said, my typical batch (I just throw stuff in a bowl, I don't really follow a recipe, so the proportions will vary slightly each time) will consist of simply ~2 cups drained yoghurt, 1 medium-to-large cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated on a box grater, salted slightly -- say 1/2 tsp? --, left to macerate a few minutes, then squeezed out of much of its moisture in a kitchen towel, two or three cloves of raw garlic, crushed in a garlic press or with your knife, some finely chopped fresh or crushed dried mint, and a lot of freshly ground black pepper. Mix well and let sit an hour or so. Sometimes a little more salt is needed when you taste it after it has sat for an hour, and you need that hour for the garlic and mint to sort of bloom...

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter