[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 56, Issue 8

Alexander Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Wed Dec 8 04:55:55 PST 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:43:48 -0800 (PST), Donna Green
<donnaegreen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to come up with a list of dishes that are named for people ...
> like Pavlova and Peche Melba. I'm not looking for dishes named for
> occupations, like Chicken Caccatore (sp?), or named for the cook who
> invented or popularized a dish. The idea is more of renown through the
> culinary arts, i.e. a person is well know for some accomplishment and they
> are honored by having a food named for them. I would appreciate any
> suggestions (not necessarily period) for this listing.
>
> The end point of this exercise is a party for cooks and costumers ... dress
> up as the historical person and bring the dish. Feel free to play with this
> thought if it amuses you.

There's Napoleon, Josephine, and some beefy bloke named Wellington.
And some beefy Russian dude called Stroganoff.

At the coronation of Richard III there was a "Custard Edward planted".
I don't know whether this was named for the King Edward who had just
been "planted". It seems implausible that the name was meant to refer
to the fact that he had been planted, so maybe "planted" was supposed
to describe the food.

--
Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon