[Sca-cooks] cooking for a vigil

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 13 06:46:55 PST 2010

On Dec 12, 2010, at 9:59 PM, Terri Morgan wrote:

> I'm replying very late (got behind on my reading) but at a vigil I cooked
> for last February, I made Adamantius' Chawettys for the 'hot' dish and not a
> one was left uneaten... and they were just as tasty cold as they had been
> hot. Not that we learned that at the vigil, it was during the pre-vigil
> taste-testing and the 'cooked too much, opps' where we figured that out.
>
> But still - they are quite inexpensive to make, look *wonderful* on the
> buffet board, and transported well frozen and then cooked onsite in a small
> frying pan.
>
> My only complaint was in the number of people who showed up saying, "I was
> told I need to come taste some sort of meat pie Hrothny is making" who
> weren't there for the candidate, but for the food! (Your fault, Adamantius,
> they shouldn't have been so yummy.)
>

> So anyway, I recommend the chawettys.

Awesome!

I'm actually of two minds about this. The fact is that I really hate being the center of such attention. I like doing the Poster-Child For My Art thing, but I would always rather talk about pie than about me. I would venture to say there're better adaptations more faithful to the original period recipes than the one I worked on, and those not constrained by what's in the fridge at 11PM might be able to take some of what they learned from this and apply it to the actual period recipes...

That said, I will admit to having this Evil Master Plan. I get to go to SCA events and sit on my duff and then eat terrific medieval food prepared by others. Pretty devious of me, huh? You can't see me, but right now I'm doing the Dr. Evil pinkie gesture thing...

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter