[Sca-cooks] Return to Plum Pudding! Oh NO!

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 07:00:04 PST 2010

I even have a recipe for a Scottish version that's cooked just like a
haggis!  Has pretty much the same ingredients as a plum pudding, but is
stuffed into a sheep's stomach and steamed, like a haggis!

Kiri

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 6:45 AM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:

> There's more news on the Christmas Pudding front.
> CBS Sunday Morning did a segment which mentioned the elusive pudding of
> celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal.
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/12/12/sunday/main7142721.shtml
>
> "In an advert for the pudding Blumenthal said: “The candied orange in the
> middle of this incredibly moist Christmas pudding makes it very special."
> “As it cooks, the essential oils from the orange peel infuse the nuts and
> fruit from the inside out producing a wonderfully  aromatic Christmas
> pudding.”
> "The £13.99 Waitrose Hidden Orange Christmas Pudding has become a festive
> phenomenon and demand is so high it has started to appear on eBay for
> hundreds of pounds."
>

> http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/colchester_heston_blumenthal_christmas_pudding_sparks_charity_auction_frenzy_1_754571
>
> They made around 25,000 puddings for sale and it seems nearly all were
> snatched up immediately, resulting in the eBay frenzy. (I suppose they will
> keep.)
>
> The Guardian asked "Can a Christmas pudding ever be worth £250? As Heston
> Blumenthal's £13.99 Waitrose Christmas puddings sell for as much as £250 on
> eBay, Observer restaurant critic Jay Rayner and journalist and campaigner
> for healthy food Rosie Boycott debate the rights and wrongs."
>

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/dec/05/heston-blumenthal-christmas-pudding-ebay
>
> also see
>
> http://blogs.wsj.com/source/2010/12/08/heston-blumenthals-orange-christmas-pud-hits-ebay/
>

> http://www.bighospitality.co.uk/New-Products/How-to-make-Heston-Blumenthal-s-Orange-Christmas-Pudding
>
> Johnnae
>
> On Nov 18, 2010, at 2:30 PM, David Walddon wrote:
>
>> Usually I order a plum pudding on line at Williams-Sonoma.
>> This year they have changed their pudding and it is $50! plus shipping.
>> Anyone have a recommendation on where to get a reasonably priced, good
>> pudding?
>> I guess I could resort to making one.
>> Eduardo

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince