[Sca-cooks] Return to Plum Pudding! Oh NO!

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Dec 16 03:45:57 PST 2010

There's more news on the Christmas Pudding front.
CBS Sunday Morning did a segment which mentioned the elusive pudding of
celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/12/12/sunday/main7142721.shtml

"In an advert for the pudding Blumenthal said: “The candied orange in
the middle of this incredibly moist Christmas pudding makes it very
special." “As it cooks, the essential oils from the orange peel infuse
the nuts and fruit from the inside out producing a wonderfully
aromatic Christmas pudding.”
"The £13.99 Waitrose Hidden Orange Christmas Pudding has become a
festive phenomenon and demand is so high it has started to appear on
eBay for hundreds of pounds."

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/colchester_heston_blumenthal_christmas_pudding_sparks_charity_auction_frenzy_1_754571

They made around 25,000 puddings for sale and it seems nearly all were
snatched up immediately, resulting in the eBay frenzy. (I suppose they
will keep.)

The Guardian asked "Can a Christmas pudding ever be worth £250? As
Heston Blumenthal's £13.99 Waitrose Christmas puddings sell for as
much as £250 on eBay, Observer restaurant critic Jay Rayner and
journalist and campaigner for healthy food Rosie Boycott debate the
rights and wrongs."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/dec/05/heston-blumenthal-christmas-pudding-ebay

also see
http://blogs.wsj.com/source/2010/12/08/heston-blumenthals-orange-christmas-pud-hits-ebay/