[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP: Stefan, I almost had a tzimmes with side of tsurrus...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 21 23:29:47 PST 2010

Adamantius commented and continued with:
<<< ...when I discovered Katz's deli will be closing its doors:

http://www.kvue.com/news/Katzs-to-officially-close-in-January-112220674.html

Only later did I discover it was not my Katz's, but one in Austin, Texas... >>>

Thanks for the heads-up. I hadn't seen the bit about them actually declaring bankruptcy recently. Too bad, they had become a local landmark. And the article is right, their Ruben sandwich was one of my favorites. Loaded with meat, cheese and sauerkraut. And they had some unusual foreign foods from NYC or Jewish NY foods anyway, that I hadn't had a chance to try yet.

But they seemed to have been in a bunch of stir-ups ever since the big fight and court battle between the Dad and Son. I think the son got the restaurant in Houston and Dad the one in Austin. But Houston is a long way to drive for dinner.

My wife has already made me promise we will eat there one more time before they close on Jan. 2.

There is another, similar place here that has opened up in the last year or so serving similar NY Jewish type food, called Manny Hatens or some such. With a Manhattan theme.

As to what you were talking about in the subject line... Must've been in some foreign tongue.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com