[Sca-cooks] period food/recipes for those new to period cooking?

Mark S. Harris marksharris at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 22 16:10:31 PST 2010

OlafJim Revells said: :-)

<<< I am not looking to form a formal guild, but rather just have an A&S project
that helps talk people into serving more period feast down here in this part of
Meridies.??If I can show the local members that not all period foods are strange
then maybe we can get more people willing to eat a period feast-not many of the
members have adventurous taste buds.? One guy said that the white pork, a
package of Ritz crackers & a six pack would be a good way of spending an evening
in front of the TV-so that's progress right?<;^]?? >>>

Perhaps some cookdays using period foods that aren't that different from some modern foods? Or food sampling  at feasts?

tasting-tabls-msg (12K) 4/29/09 Introducing people to medieval foods using food samples and tasting tables.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/tasting-tabls-msg.html

I've collected recipes for some period dishes that are easy to fix, for new cooks, but it sounds like your folks are already familiar with how to cook and it is just making the transistion to period foods that is the concern.
easy-p-recip-msg (12K) 3/ 7/10 Some easy period recipes. Ideal for new cooks or for cooks new to period cooking.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/easy-p-recip-msg.html

Here are some close to modern period foods that might be good introductions for wary cooks and diners in your local group.
3-F-Toast-Rec-art (8K) 8/17/03 "Period French Toast Recipes" by Lady Hauviette d'Anjou.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/3-F-Toast-Rec-art.html

French-Toast-art (27K) 3/31/00 "From Lost Bread to French Toast" by Christianna MacGrain.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/French-Toast-art.html

French-Toast-msg (21K) 11/14/04 Period French Toast. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/French-Toast-msg.html

fried-breads-msg (70K) 11/ 7/10 Period fried breads. Funnel cakes, donuts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/fried-breads-msg.html

wafers-msg (130K) 1/ 9/08 Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/wafers-msg.html

Carbonadoes-art (14K) 6/19/97 "Carbonadoes" by Adamantius. A medieval "barbecued" meat dish.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/Carbonadoes-art.html

ham-msg (61K) 12/ 6/09 Period ham. Modern sources. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/ham-msg.html

macaroons-msg (12K) 9/ 2/10 Period Macaron/Macaroon cookies or cakes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/macaroons-msg.html

There's a whole series of these "Did You Know it's Period..." articles on food in the Florilegium FOOD section.
DYKIP-Pies-art (16K) 7/ 5/09 "Did You Know it's Period? Part 5: Simple Simon's Pies" by HL Rowan Houndskeeper.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/DYKIP-Pies-art.html

I would probably avoid dishes like:
Blood-Soup-art (12K) 12/26/00 "Polish Black Soup - Czarnina" by Casamira Jawjalny, O.L.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Blood-Soup-art.html
:-)

If anyone else has suggestions of period dishes similar to modern dishes, I'd be interested in hearing more suggestions.

Stefan

======
Mark S. Harris
Electronics Engineer, Board and Systems Design
MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris