[Sca-cooks] period food suggestions for pot lucks

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 24 23:16:39 PST 2010

Kiri suggested:
<<< One dish that I've taken to potlucks with a great deal of success is to do
Digby's Savory Toasted Cheese...I do it as a fondue kind of thing (I have a
period chafing dish), with a platter of various things to dip (roast beef,
bread, mushrooms, broccoli, etc.).  It's showy, non-scary to new folks and
wonderful! >>>

Thanks. Savory Tosted Cheese does occasionally show up at our pot lucks. For the shire pot luck I mentioned, someone made three different Savory Tosted Cheeses. One was plain, one had shrimp and crab added to it and, I think, the third had bacon and roasted onions.

This is the first I've heard of providing various dipping items along with bread.

I have taken Savory Tosted Cheese to various mundane pot lucks in the past and it has always gone over well there. So you're right on that being a good one for folks new to cooking or eating period foods.

What do you mean a "period chafing dish"? You don't mean that it keeps food warm over charcoal do you? Or is that even what a period chafing dish did?

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com