[Sca-cooks] period food suggestions for pot lucks

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 24 23:04:00 PST 2010

Johnnae replied to my request for period dish ideas for pot lucks with:
<<< But the trick here is also seasonal. What one brings to a winter potluck is not the same as what one brings to a summer potluck.

And it varies by site. So in the winter at an indoor site with electricity, one brings the slow cookers. In the summer, it's
grilled foods suitable to be grilled over a fire with everything else kept mainly on ice. >>>

Oh? I can't remember the dishes being brought to our winter and our summer pot lucks varying that much.

For instand the first time I attempted wafers and snow, if was for a spring or summer event and the next time was the two recent pot lucks in early December. I can't remember ever having a grill going at any of our pot lucks in this barony.  Some smaller private gatherings but not for a baronial pot luck.

And for almost all of them, someone bringing one or more dishes in crockpots.

Lunches, usually served as a sideboard, and provided at an event do seem to be seasonally dependent.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com