[Sca-cooks] Giano's Christmas meal

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sun Dec 26 00:14:22 PST 2010

Salve

--- Mark S. Harris <marksharris at austin.rr.com> schrieb am So, 26.12.2010:

> Could you sometime post the recipe for this "mushroom and
> onion soup"? Is this a period dish? or just historical? I
> may just not be remembering, but I don't remember any period
> soups with this combination. Sounds like it could be
> interesting.

It's from Rumpoldt, so just barely period, and unfortunately I don't have the text on hand right now. Did I ever post the sixteenth-century German coronation menu? If yes, it's in there.

> Is this "bread dumplings, zotten mus (egg dough boiled in
> salted milk)" one dish? If not, how long do you boil this
> egg dough? What is the result, dumplings? or something
> else?

THe zotten mus is its own dish. Basically, it's like noodles. You make a stiff dough of eggs and flour (one recipe at least says only egg whites, for colour consistency), and thenyou tear it into little pieces and throw them into boiling milk. The text I was working from says that it should be 'wormy', so I rolled the pieces between my hands. the result was a lot like schupfnudeln, though not a lot like worms.

The bread dumplings a a very far-reaching interpretation of a recipe in the Innsbruck MS. They are fairly basic, old bread sopsaked in broth, seasoned and boiled, the problem is being sure that this is what the writer actually means.

> What is "May dish"?

According to the Ars Magirica, it's curds, cream and butter, seasoned with rosewater and sugar and stuck with flowers. It's ridiculuously rich, but quite tasty, and my friend who did the shopping actually was able to find edible flowers.

Regrettably, i don't have the texts here, but I've promised my friends to put them together anyway, so I can send you those for the Florilegium.

Happy Sunny Winter Days Off

Giano