[Sca-cooks] Giano's Christmas meal

Mark S. Harris marksharris at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 25 19:14:42 PST 2010

Giano said:
<<< On the 24th, we had frankfurters and potato salad. On the 25th, we have a traditional big dinner with friends, always using historical recipes. This time it was a mushroom and onion soup, chickens with an apple-egg stuffing, stewed beef, bread dumplings, zotten mus (egg dough boiled in salted milk), red cabbage, honey mustard and cherry sauce, and a dessert of plum tart, holhippen, fruit, nuts, and May dish. That turned out very nice. >>>

Could you sometime post the recipe for this "mushroom and onion soup"? Is this a period dish? or just historical? I may just not be remembering, but I don't remember any period soups with this combination. Sounds like it could be interesting.

Is this "bread dumplings, zotten mus (egg dough boiled in salted milk)" one dish? If not, how long do you boil this egg dough? What is the result, dumplings? or something else?

What is "May dish"?

Thanks,
  Stefan

======
Mark S. Harris
Electronics Engineer, Board and Systems Design
MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris