[Sca-cooks] Christmas loot

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 17:47:49 PST 2010

I received a couple of culinary related gifts...from my sweetie, a book,
"Food:  A History of Taste" which is a series of essays about different
cuisines in different cultures.  And from my sister-in-law and her family, a
wonderful Chinese dragon teapot...not really a YiXing, but something quite
similar from Teavana.  I did give my husband a 12" Victorinex (??sp) slicing
knife.  He used it on the beef tenderloin we fixed as Christmas dinner, the
big gift to his family. The tenderloin and it's sauce were a great success,
as was the adaptation (to suit family tastes) of Savory Toasted Cheese. But
dummy package me walked off and left the sweet potatoes and apples that were
the main ingredients for the Stewed Potato dish...so Phillip's sister's
husband (from Chile) made a Chilean potato dish that was great...and the
sauce from the roast was yummy on it.  We did the truly decadent bread
pudding for dessert.

We wound up taking dessert and leaving very early....it was showing pretty
heavily and Phillip felt felt pretty rotten (cold/bronchitis)...and
returning to the hotel.  We had a great day!  We had planned to spend today
with friends just north of Richmond (VA), but again the threat of really
serious snow in the DC area persuaded us to leave and come home.  Found two
dogs outside who were VERY happy to see us.  They hadn't been out that long,
but they really wanted to come back in.

Hope everyone's Christmas (or whatever) was terrific...

Kiri

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Michael Gunter <dookgunthar at hotmail.com>wrote:

> So, did you get any cool cooking stuff for Christmas?
> I got the ThinkGeek Molecular Gastronomy kit. The tools and instructions
> are rather sparse so I guess I'll be doing a lot of searching on the
> internet.
> But two cool items to make are fruit juice "caviar" and gelatin
> "spaghetti".
>
> I'm a long way from Wylie Dufresne, but I should have some fun with it.
>
> Gunthar
>
> On a semi-related note: Christmas breakfast was biscuits with scrambled
> eggs and
> my homemade bacon.

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince