[Sca-cooks] The difference between a chef's knife and a santoku knife?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 26 12:19:28 PST 2010

Hi!

Since everyone has been discussing their Christmas loot haul, I guess that I will also.

My husband went to Williams-Sonoma and went crazy.  He got me two pocket pie forms in the shape of an apple and a pineapple.  He got me a pie crust cutter to make fancy decorative pie crusts.  He got me a non-stick pancake pan with small 3 inch decorated indentions.  It is pretty, but I have to figure out how to flip the pancakes without scratching the non-stick surface.  He also got me a Wusthof santoku knife with a sharpener.

The knife is very lovely.  Hroar said that he had gone through my knifes and noticed that I didn't have a santoku, which is true.  I am not sure how to use it.  It has a straight cutting edge instead of the curved one of a chef's knife.  Can anyone tell me the santoku's advantages and disadvantages and proper use?  Thanks.

Anyway, for my birthday, which is today, Hroar got me a Breville individual pie maker.  It is electrical and can bake four small pies at once.

Other than the knife and pancake pan, all my other gifts from my husband have been pie related.  I wonder if he is hinting at something? :-D

Huette