[Sca-cooks] The difference between a chef's knife and a santokuknife?

Kingstaste kingstaste at comcast.net
Sun Dec 26 14:25:19 PST 2010

The santoku is at heart a sushi cutting knife, and works really well to
slice meats.  As you have noticed, it does not have the curved edge of a
French Chef's knife, which makes that blade better for the
rocking-and-chopping motion.
Having said that, some people prefer the flat shape of the santoku over
every other blade and use it for everything.  I always feel like the blade
is working against me when I try to use one for chopping vegetables for
example.  Your mileage will certainly vary, so try various cutting and
chopping tasks with both styles to see which you prefer.

Congrats on your new blade!
Christianna