[Sca-cooks] let's get back to business; was; knives

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 31 05:28:59 PST 2010

On Dec 30, 2010, at 6:17 PM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> A couple of weeks back, there was a recipe in the San Francisco Chronicle
> for a Slow Roasted Crispy Skinned Pork Roast.  It seems to be a fairly
> involved recipe, and takes 14 - 16 hours, but it looked wonderful.  You can
> find it if you go to their web site and search for the recipe in the Food
> section.  The meat called for is a fresh picnic ham...so it's not your usual
> "ham."
>
> Kiri

The standard pernil al horno, the classic meat used for toasted Cuban sandwiches, is a picnic shoulder (and sometimes referred to in market ads as pernil around here, sometimes a "hand of pork" or arm of pork in the UK, I believe) takes about that long if you factor in the marinating time -- overnight plus 5-7 hours of slow roasting. It has a lot of fat and also a lot of connective tissue to break down, but it's worth all the trouble.

Adamantius (who knows perfectly well it's not the fault of the leftover turkey in the fridge that he is acquiring mixed feelings at the sight of it)

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter