[Sca-cooks] let's get back to business; was; knives

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 05:46:21 PST 2010

Actually, this one calls for scoring the fat, rubbing in the herbs and
roasting it at 400 for 45-60 minutes.  Then you add liquids (wine and broth)
and veggies, turn the oven back to 200 and roast until the interior temp
reaches 170, usually 14 - 16 hours.  It really is a SLOW roast!  But it
looks and sounds so wonderful that, one of these weekends I'd love to try
it.

Kiri

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius <
adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2010, at 6:17 PM, Elaine Koogler wrote:
>
> > A couple of weeks back, there was a recipe in the San Francisco Chronicle
> > for a Slow Roasted Crispy Skinned Pork Roast.  It seems to be a fairly
> > involved recipe, and takes 14 - 16 hours, but it looked wonderful.  You
> can
> > find it if you go to their web site and search for the recipe in the Food
> > section.  The meat called for is a fresh picnic ham...so it's not your
> usual
> > "ham."
> >
> > Kiri
>
> The standard pernil al horno, the classic meat used for toasted Cuban
> sandwiches, is a picnic shoulder (and sometimes referred to in market ads as
> pernil around here, sometimes a "hand of pork" or arm of pork in the UK, I
> believe) takes about that long if you factor in the marinating time --
> overnight plus 5-7 hours of slow roasting. It has a lot of fat and also a
> lot of connective tissue to break down, but it's worth all the trouble.
>
> Adamantius (who knows perfectly well it's not the fault of the leftover
> turkey in the fridge that he is acquiring mixed feelings at the sight of it)
>

> "Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we
> all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
>                        -- Rabbi Israel Salanter

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince