[Sca-cooks] Query about verjus...urgent!!

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Dec 6 11:36:05 PST 2010

Verjuice derives from the Old French "verd" which means both "unripe" and
"green" (as in the color green), as near as I can tell.

 That being said, Taillevent says the following, "The following for a green
colour (or to give a tart taste):  parsley, herb bennet, sorrel, vine leaves
or vine shoots, currants, or green wheat in winter.  For steeping:  white
wine, verjuice, vinegar, water, greasy broth, cow's milk and almond milk."
(Sculley, The Viander of Taillevent)

I think that the verjus of green wheat may be referring to a green colored
juice rather than the verjus made of unripe fruit.

Bear