[Sca-cooks] Query about verjus...urgent!!

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Mon Dec 6 13:39:11 PST 2010

The Vatican Library MS of Viandier (my translation) gives green wheat (one
presumes the leaves) as a colourant not as a source of verjuice per se:

"159. Herbs for giving a green colour.
Parsley, avens, sorrel, vine leaf or shoots, gooseberry bush, and green wheat
in winter."

In an example that uses sorrel as both a colourant and flavouring, we see that
the sorrel leaves are strained out.  Some of the sourness from the sorrel, as
well as the green colour, will remain in the sauce.  Presumably something
similar would be done when using green wheat leaves as a colourant.

"216. Green Verjuice [Sauce].
Take sorrel including the stem, steep in some other verjuice, strain [through
cheesecloth], and add a bread crust so that it does not turn. (A 1490 printed
edition quoted by Pichon et al., p. 194.)"

Thorvald