[Sca-cooks] Redactions for SCA use?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Dec 9 09:02:16 PST 2010

>Hey everyone,
>

>Our Baroness has issued a challenge for an upcoming local Barony holiday
>potluck. She wants to see as many people bring medieval food as possible. As
>the Barony's A&S officer (and the person who's been championing this idea
>the whole way) I have offered to provide a wide range of already-redacted
>recipes for people to choose from. Many people are interested in
>participating but feel they can't redact recipes from period manuscripts. I
>want to make this as painless as possible, since the whole point is to
>entice more people to try cooking period dishes. These dishes will not be
>"judged" in any way.
>

>My biggest concern right now is violating copyright. I know that posting
>links on our Barony's website to sites like the Miscellany is okay. What
>about printing off recipes and distributing them at meetings? Is it okay if
>I include where I got the recipe? Do I need to ask permission for each and
>every recipe?

The Miscellany has a pretty broad permission to reprint at the
beginning. It does require you to print the recipe unchanged and
credit the source.

My own feeling is that getting people to try cooking from the
original recipe, with any needed hand holding, is more useful than
getting them to cook from someone else's redaction. That's part of
the point of our cooking workshops. It's more interesting and
exciting--you may  be cooking something that nobody has made for the
past five hundred years--and easier than people expect.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com